Saturday, December 25, 2010
Who is This Baby in the Manger?
This baby in the manger was the One who lived, talked, and walked among men in Judea and Galilee.
The One who lived, talked, and walked among men in Judea and Galilee, is the One who healed the sick, made the lame to walk, the blind to see, raised the dead, and gave hope to the weary and downtrodden.
The One who healed the sick, made the lame to walk, the blind to see, raised the dead, and gave hope to the weary and downtrodden is the One who was betrayed, condemned and crucified, suffering death upon the cross, and buried in a tomb.
The One who was betrayed, condemned and crucified, suffering death upon the cross, and buried in a tomb is the One who rose from the dead on the third day, conquering death, hell, and all the works of the devil.
The One who rose from the dead on the third day, conquering death, hell, and the works of the devil is the One who ascended up into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father.
The One who ascended up into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father is the One who will some day come again as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords before whom every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is LORD to the glory of God the Father.
This is who the baby in the manger is; Emmanuel, God with us.
Come and worship...
Friday, December 24, 2010
Creator & Creation: What Has Man Wrought?
This past week I got to see Tron Legacy at the local Imax.
Amidst the outstanding graphics is a story that touches on fundamental questions of being and existence, creator and creation, love & sacrifice. Though Tron Legacy was not intended to necessarily be philosophical, I found it pretty profound.
This is not at all to say Tron Legacy is "Christian". Any religious allusions are more along the line of an Eastern pantheistic mysticism. But that said, any story dealing with the human condition in whatever setting, fiction, science fiction, or etc, will deal with those fundamental questions of being and existence that cut across all cultural and religious lines.
I could go on at length about the theological implications of the issues and questions inherent in the story this movie tells, but I will leave that for the readers of this short piece to work out when they have seen Tron Legacy for themselves.
For myself, Tron Legacy is a serious contender for my "Best Top Ten Movies of All Time" list.
~ The Billy Goat ~
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Book & Movie Titles That Never Were
Some friends were over this evening, and we got into this thing of coming up with titles of books and movies, then turning them into creative titles that never were but could have been. Enjoy!
- Harry Potter & The Sorcerer Get Stoned
- Malice in Wonderland
- False Grit
- Harry Potter: The Disorder of the Phoenix
- A Welcome to Legs ( E. Hemingway)
- Little Ado About Everythiing (W. Shakespeare)
- Peter Pot
- Dr. Jekyll & Mrs. Hyde
- Scared Old World (A. Huxley)
- Your Anthony (W. Cather)
- A Tail of Two Cities (C. Dickens)
- Nonsense and Insensibility (J. Austen)
- Here With the Breeze (M. Mitchall)
- The Gizzard of Oz
Now you have the idea. What can you come up with?
Saturday, December 04, 2010
A Few Odds & Ends
- My sister Joy passed away in early June. This is the first holiday season when she will not be with us. There is, as it were, "an empty chair at the table". I know other families are also experiencing the "empty chair" at this time of the year. Death is a part of life in a fallen and not yet fully redeemed world. Past generations lived much closer to death then the current secular Western generation I am a part of. Unless the Lord comes first, we will all eventually come face to face with death. That is where the Advent time of year is an encouragement. It not just the babe in the manger, but the whole life He lived, as well as His death, and the overcoming of death through His resurrection that gives us hope beyond death; the hope of eternal life. That is what makes Christmas special.
- I am compiling on this blog a list of books I have read. The results can be seen at "The Billy Goat Reader" link on the left side of this page.
- My alma mater, Michigan State University ended up with a share of the Big 10 title in football. Michigan State is in the top ten in the BCS rankings. It's been a good year to be a Spartan fan. In the meantime the Detroit Lions... Well, what can you say...
"If evangelical Christianity is about anything, it ought to be about the gospel—that’s the meaning of the term evangelical itself. If so, we must recognize that our mission is to be found in what makes the good news good. We don’t have to be left to our own striving and clawing. And we don’t have to try to be emperor of our own lives, or of those around us. We point instead to a kingdom that overshadows—and knocks down—every rival rule, including our own." ~ Russell Moore as quoted by Kevin DeYoung.
- On December 1, we got snow and enough that it accumulated on the ground, but not enough that made it hard to clear the roads.
- Here is one of my all time favorite Christmas songs.
~ The Billy Goat ~