Thursday, June 24, 2004

Of Sunsets & Such


Tonight's sunset was very pretty. The western sky was edged in soft shades of pink and red. "Red sky at night, sailors delight." the old saying goes. I made myself take some time and go outside and enjoy the painting of the Great Artist of all artists. What He painted tonight was very beautiful.

There was a time when I use to watch the sunsets on a fairly regular basis. I know now that "sunset watching" at that time in my life was a defensive measure to keep some degree of sanity through some very troublesome times. Watching the sunset helped me focus on Him who being God of all things, is God of the sunsets. In all the turmoil and uncertainty of those times, He was in control, arranging my steps and guiding me through that contentious situation to where we are today. "Hitherto has the LORD helped us."

The Psalmist tells us that the creation declares the glory of God. The sunsets of our life are a precious part of that awesome declaration.

Praise to Him who being Lord of all, is Lord of the sunsets, and Lord of the colors of the sky, and Lord of the wind, and Lord of the trees, and Lord of the grass of the field, and who is Lord of our lives. Praise the LORD.

~ The Billy Goat ~

No comments: