Thursday, August 19, 2004

Observing the Signs

This has been a pretty cool August. We've hardly used the air conditioner at all. Temperatures have definitely been below normal for this time of year. The days are also noticeably shorter. The feel of fall is in the air, but this should be the most "summer" part of summer. Here and there I've even seen a few trees starting to turn color!

On our trip to visit my parents, we passed a number of fields of corn, a standard crop for this area. Probably the majority of the fields we passed looked pretty good, but a noticeable number of them looked pretty sorry. That had to do with all the rain we got in May that delayed the final plantings. Also, with this cooler weather, we've not had the hot days and cool nights that are optimal for corn plant growth and development.

While on our way home, we passed through a relatively brief, but heavy rain storm. As the rain started to let up, the sun came peeking through the clouds in the west. I told my daughter and her friend who was with us to look off to the east for a rainbow, for if there was going to be one, that was the optimal time. They looked and sure enough, there was a rainbow in the east. Having to keep my attention on my driving, I was only able to see one leg of it. There it was, God's bow, just as He said.

Pondering the sight of the rainbow and the progression of the seasons, I thought again of the promises made so long ago to Noah:


"While the earth remains,
Seedtime and harvest,
And cold and heat,
And summer and winter,
And day and night
Shall not cease." (Genesis 8:22)

"This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that with you, for all successive generations; I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth." (Genesis 9:12-13)


With the passing of the seasons and the sight of the colors of the rainbow arcing across the sky, God has once again reminded us that He is faithful and true. He will keep His promises. We can put our hope and trust in Him and His Word even as Noah did so long ago. All glory be to Him!

~ The Billy Goat ~

No comments: