Thursday, February 01, 2007

The use of Greek Words Translated “world” in Selected NT Passages


This list of verses is from a SS handout our Pastor gave to us. I used my interliner Greek/English NT to identify the Greek words used.

Romans 1:20 - Kosmos is translated as “world”

Romans 12:2 – Aion - has the basic meaning of “age”. Here it is translated as “world”

I Corinthians 1:20-21; 3:19

“…debater of this “aion”...God made foolish the wisdom of this “kosmos”…the “kosmos” did not know God… 3:19 “…the wisdom of this “kosmos”..


Galatians 6:14 – “..the”kosmos” has been crucified to me, and I to the “kosmos”…

Colossians 2:20-23 – “…you died to the elementary principles of the “kosmos”…

I Timothy 6:7 – “…we brought nothing into the “kosmos”…”

James 4:4 – “…friendship with the “kosmos”…”

I John 2:15-17 – “Do not love the “kosmos”….”
(Kosmos translated “world” 4 times in this passage.)

I John 3:13 – “…the “kosmos” hates you…”

I John 4:4-5 – (Kosmos is used 4 times and translated “world”.)

I John 5:19 – “…the whole “kosmos” lies in the power of the evil one…”

Matthew 28:19-20 – “…I am with you always, to the end of the “aion”…”

(Another important passage for understanding “aion” is Galatians 1:4 “…the present evil “aion”…”)

In His grace,

~ The Billy Goat ~

No comments: