Billy Goat Log: June 18, 2011
- We upgraded our cable subscription back in early April, just in time to catch some of the NHL Stanley Cup playoff games. The Red Wings were taken out by the Sharks who were taken out by the Cannuks who were taken out by the Bruins, and then Vancouver burned down which was really kind of silly.
- We made it through the high school graduation open house season. Look out world! Here they come! We blink our eyes and that "little kid" running around the church foyer is now driving a car, and then graduating from high school. Then at some point they get married and maybe further down the road start having kids of their own.
- I've been reading some Vince Flynn spy thrillers. Also I've picked up a Tony Hillerman book I don't remember reading before.
- Will I ever be able to retire? I'm at that age, but financial prospects are still tenuous at this point. Back in March a good friend passed away very suddenly. He was about 3 months from retirement. He had talked about his plans for this summer of which at the top of the list was spending time with his one and only grandchild. It is things like that which cause you to stop and think.
- We had a wet spring, and so far it has been relatively cool. We've ran the AC a few times, but have been able to go days at a time without it. Back in the fall of 2009 I split some peony bushes. This is the first year we've had blooms from the transplanted portions.
- I'm convinced more then ever that Biblical perseverance is perseverance in faith believing. The context of the persevering passages in the book of Hebrews sets perseverance in contrast to apostasy.
- On one of my other blogs I did a story on a Great-Uncle Pvt. George Britton who was killed in World War I. I was able to find some information on the regiment he was in, including some combat history. That story is found here.