Saturday, December 04, 2004

A Trip Down Memory Lane: Movies I Remember


My daughter, the one known as Elfstone, just introduced me to the All Posters on-line gallery. She wanted to order some Lord of The Rings stuff.

I started browsing the movie poster gallery, doing lookups on movies I remember from long ago and not so long ago. If I had enough wall space, these are some of the movie posters from All Posters I'd hang on that wall. (Listed in no particular order.)

To Kill A Mockingbird :
I think I was about ten years old if that. We went to the theater in Arcbold, Ohio with some of our cousins to see this. Gregory Peck will always be "Atticus Finch" in my mind. The best black and white movie I ever saw on a big screen. How The West Was Won We went as a family to Toledo, Ohio to see this. I think mom wanted us to get a sense of the history behind this. The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner. I took some friends to the drive in theater in Hillsdale, Michigan to see this. During the intermission the guy in the car behind us came up and politely asked me to take my foot off the brake. I'd unconsciously rested my foot on the car brake, and he and his family were getting my rear brake lights in their face... Not cool... What was cool was to see Moses parting the Red Sea on the gigantic screen. Spartacus My childhood friend Jim invited me to go with him and his family to see this at the theater in Morenci, Michigan. What an epic story. Some years latter I found out there really had been a Spartacus, and he really had led a slave revolt against the Roman Empire. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly The big screens in those days were the big screens at the drive in movies. Those big screens were well suited for the big movies. I saw this movie two times. Both times were at the drive in movie at Bryan, Ohio. This was my first introduction to the "Spaghetti Western" and Clint Eastwood. True Grit This remains my favorite John Wayne Western. I saw this at the old movie theater in Hillsdale, Michigan. Sitting on a horse... Reins in his teeth... Both hands holding a six shooter... Just classic... The Graduate OK.. I know Anne Brancoft seduces Dustin Hoffman. I was a freshman at Michigan State University, and went to see this three times at an East Lansing theater. One of the big draws for me was the Simon & Garfunkel sound track. Looking back, I see that The Graduate was anticipating and on the edge of Post-modernism... I am also pretty sure my wife would not let me keep this poster on the wall. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones Of the two Star Wars movies I've seen in the theater, this is my favorite because it's where Yoda gets to really strut his stuff. This poster is for the IMAX version. I didn't see Episode II at the IMAX, but this is the only poster with Yoda on it... I took my daughter and a few of her friends to Celebration Cinima in Grand Rapids, Michigan to see Episode II. We saw Episode I at the same place, but that didn't stick with me like Episode II. 2001: A Space Odyssey I saw this at the old Hillsdale, Michigan theater. Now 2001 has come an gone... Yes, I saw the 2010 sequal on vidio... Now we know HAL was doublecrossed...

~ The Billy Goat ~

No comments: