Monday, December 27, 2004

From My Christmas Stocking


...being an account of some of the things I got for Christmas this year...

Luther The DVD. With Joseph Fieness as Martin Luther and Sir Peter Ustinov as Sir Frederick.

Heaven by Randy Alcorn. After reading Alcorn's novel Deadline, and hearing he had written a more theological work on Heaven, this was added to my Christmas list, and consequently found in my "stocking". Will it be that once and for all a faulty Neo-Platonism will be exorcised from the Christian view of heaven? There is a C.S. Lewis influence in Alcorn's writings. Yes Dorothy, we can expect to see Toto in the New Heavens and the New Earth. Even with Pseudo-Puritan Neo-Platonism to the contrary.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Now I have my own copy. Make sure you read Mitch Albom's dedication of this book to his Uncle Edward before preceding with the story.

The Gift of Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. The sequel to My Name is Asher Lev... See previous posts regarding Chaim Potok.

Admiral Hornblower In The West Indies the 11th in chronological order of the eleven book Horatio Hornblower series by C. S. Forester. Now I have the whole set; Midshipman to Admiral. Though the Forester series is fiction, it gives a very realistic portrayl of life in the British Navy. If you enjoyed Master and Commander, you will probably enjoy the Hornblower series.

Money... to spend on more books and at least one more DVD, The Passion of the Christ. We already got the extended version of The Return of the King as a family Christmas present to ourselves.

But of all the Christmas gifts from over all the years, there is the one best gift I have ever received... Jesus Himself... (John 3:16)

Sola Christo,

~ The Billy Goat ~

No comments: